Heat Pump Cleaning
We are heat pump cleaning specialists, covering Hamilton, Cambridge, Te Awamutu and the Waikato region.
Through product and operating knowledge we recommend that residential pumps be cleaned annually and
commercial units cleaned at either six or three month intervals, dependent on usage.
Heat pump cleaning extends the life and efficiency of your unit.
The dirt that came out was disgusting, and showed that the job was worth doing.
Just vacuuming yourself, you don't do it properly.
Why clean your heat pump?
Heat pump cleaning is as an integral part of maintaining the longevity and efficiency of a heat pump unit. Heat pump cleaning is as important as servicing your car, keeping it performing well and increasing the operating life.
Heat pumps are all about efficiency and by maintaining efficiency it keeps running costs low. So it makes sense that cleaning and maintenance will retain efficiency.
With the average life of a reputable heat pump lasting around 10-15 years, proper cleaning of the unit will help it operate efficiently throughout its full life cycle.
Heat pump cleaning is often overlooked. People purchase and install heat pump systems and do nothing beyond that to maintain their asset and are often surprised and dismayed if the unit has problems further down the track.
Don’t fall into the trap of purchasing equipment and never having it serviced, as by cleaning your heat pump you will extend its operating life and maintain efficiency.
Signs That Your Heat Pump Needs Cleaning
Apart from your regular heat pump maintenance checks there may be indicators throughout the life of your heat pump system that may require attention, such as:
- strange smells released from the indoor unit,
- loud or unusual noises from any part of the system,
- or perhaps your heat pump just isn't working as optimally as it once was...
In any of these instances, our team is ready to attend to any queries you may have.
Cleaning your own heat pump filters
Filter cleaning should be carried out regularly and these simple instructions on cleaning heat pump filters provides all the information you need to effectively clean your filters. Filter cleaning is a maintenance job that all home owners are capable of doing themselves.
Give filter cleaning a go yourself & call us for a full cleaning service
Please attempt to clean your heat pump filters using our simple guide below - if you need further assistance – give us a call.
Cleaning heat pump air filters yourself
Cleaning heat pump air filters should be done once every 2-4 weeks.
- To begin, open or remove the front panel of your Heat Pump .
- When cleaning is finished simply re-fit the front panel by pushing it back into place.
- With the front panel off, removing the air filters is made easier. Simply remove the dirt from the filters with a small brush or the brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner, or rinse with water (no hotter than 50°C).
- If cleaning with water, use a soft dry cloth and place in the shade to dry.
Even if you do the basic cleaning yourself, getting a professional to check the heat pump every couple of years is worthwhile.consumer.org.nz
Deeper cleaning of the air filter
This can be done once every 3-4 months.
- Remove dirt with a vacuum cleaner brush attachment as you would do once every few weeks.
- If dirt cannot be removed by vacuuming, simply soak the filter and its frame in a mixture of simple dish-washing detergent and lukewarm water before gently washing and rinsing it.
- After washing, dry the air cleaning filter well with a soft dry cloth or in the shade.
Heat Pump Filter Replacement
For best performance, replace the air cleaning filter on your heat pump once every year and your product manual will be able to give you guidance on this.
The filters serve to keep the heat pump's components clean, so regular upkeep and then replacement is always best practise.
Regular cleaning is not only good for your health but also good for the running health of your heat pump.
Heat pumps need regular maintenance – mainly cleaning.consumer.org.nz
If you skimp on maintenance you can expect poorer performance and reduced life.
At A1 Chimney & Heat Pumps we like to work with our clients to empower them wherever possible to properly care for their heat pumps and for everything else we have qualified, skilled and professional trades people who take pride in what they do.
A heat pump cleaning service performed by one of our technicians will leave you with a feeling of security, relief and assurance - knowing that your heat pump is optimised to work well, operate efficiently, keep your family healthy and save you money in operating costs.
Heat Pump Cleaning Services Include:
- Cleaning of filters, vanes, grills and outer covers (internal and external)
- Checking fan blades or scrolls and clean as required
- Checking condensate line and test for drainage
- Checking and testing start/stop sequence and heating/cooling changeover
- Checking both indoor and outdoor units ensuring they are level; mounts are intact and checking for unusual sounds or vibrations
- Cleaning both evaporator and condenser coils - reporting if cleaning is required
- Test run and check air on and air off temperatures
When should I have my heat pump cleaned?
With residential heat pump units we recommend an annual clean and commercial heat pump units cleaned at either six or three month intervals, dependent on usage.
We are somewhat blessed with moderate temperatures year round - so in terms of heat pump cleaning, it is best to have your heat pump cleaned before you really need to.
If you like to pump the cool air on those humid Waikato Summer days and nights or increase the temperature on chilly winter days and nights, then a service in either Spring or Autumn is ideal.
There may be instances when your heat pump needs some additional TLC - please contact us immediately if:
- You are experiencing higher power bills,
- or if the heat pump is not adequately heating or cooling,
- or the heat pump is not operating at previous levels,
- or if the heat pump is emitting odd smells from either the internal or external unit.
If you have any questions at all about the operating health of your heat pump units, give our experienced and skilled team a call. There may be issues with your heat pump that can easily or readily be explained by a professional, so if you do have any concerns, helpful advice is only a call away.